The article below is an excerpt from the December 22, 1978 edition of Conquest, a publication of KCYFC. December 15 was the formal grand opening and dedication of KYFC-TV.

While December 15 was the formal dedication of the station, here are some things that preceded it. Once the tower, antenna and transmitter were installed FCC Rules required that a proof-of-performance be performed. This was to ensure all transmissions were in compliance with the Rules. That work was performed by the transmitter manufacturer and began on Thursday, November 30, 1978 and was completed in the afternoon of December 1. In the late afternoon on December 1 Joe Snelson, Chief Engineer, called KCYFC headquarters and informed Ronnie Metsker that performance measurements were complete and we were ready to apply power to the antenna. When they were set and the “go” signal was given the transmitter was switched on and began to apply power to the antenna for the first time! KYFC was transmitting a color bar test pattern similar to what is shown on the right. It was a joyous and rewarding occasion for all.

At the time, FCC Rules required that a request for Program Test Authority be filed with the FCC prior to commencing to broadcast programming. Once granted, a station could then begin transmitting programming.

Below is an early version of a program guide showing the time when various programs would be broadcast.

Return to the KYFC-TV home page

© 2023 Joe Snelson

Below is a Bumper Sticker promoting KYFC-TV

Above are snapshots from Dr. Al’s Inside Story. This was typically aired near the conclusion of the broadcast day for KYFC-TV. These photos triggered a memory for Joe Snelson and he tells us about it.

I believe it was a Sunday. My normal Master Control Operator, George Bailey [not to be confused with the character played by the actor Jimmy Stewart in It’s a Wonderful Life], was on vacation. Having a small technical staff I came in to cover his shift. I was to be relieved in mid-afternoon by Mike Vrbanic. Mike lived in Odessa, MO. It started snowing that morning. By noon it was piling up. I got a call from Mike and he said he was snowed in and wouldn’t be able to come in. With the weather being as it was there was nobody else around the building. So, I pulled a double shift and covered Mike, too. Around 9 PM Dr. Al showed up to tape Inside Story. I had no crew. Fortunately, my sweet wife decided to go to work with me that day. I swung into action and got the studio lights turned on. Al got in place on the set and put on his microphone. I then set his audio level on the audio console. My wife manned the video production switcher while I continued to watch after the programming on the station. We got Inside Story taped with a two person (actually more like 1-½ person) crew with me also watching what was on the station.

Epilogue: We finished the shift not too long afterwards and signed off the station. By now we were both starving having nothing of substance to eat all day. As we drove home we stopped at a Perkins along I-35. It was snowing to beat the band. We went in and there was nobody there! We set down and the busboy came to our table. He explained that he and the cook were the only ones there. None of the waitresses were able to make it in. Fortunately, we were able to get a little something to eat, although there was a limited selection. We made it home safely. It was one of those days. :)

KYFC TV Factbook

Television stations were listed in a publication called Television Factbook. This publication showed all television markets and each station in the market that was on the air. The listing showed a broad coverage map of the station along with the technical parameters such as the coordinates of the transmitter site and the power transmitted. It also showed the personnel of the station. Clink this link or the icon on the right to see an excerpt from the 1979 edition of the Television Factbook for KYFC-TV.